Friday, January 22, 2010

Walking thru the Word...Catching Up

I have decided it is WAY TO HARD to try to get all my Bible Study in for the day AND write about all of it on the blog! So moving forward I am just going to hit the highlights of what I learned/thought was interesting. I have read Gen. 27-35, Psalms 11-15, Matt. 5:13-6:24, and Acts 7-8

The Gen. section is all about Jacob, who happens to be one of my favorite characters in the OT. I love him because he wrestled with God and taught me it was ok to do the same! I love the fact that I can ask God anything I want and He is big enough to handle it. It has given me great freedom in my walk with Him once I understood it is ok to ask Him "why". He can handle me telling Him that I don't understand and quiet frankly do not like His plan! God does not have an ego problem and is not turned off by our questions to Him or about Him.

Psalms 11:7 "For the Lord is righteous, He loves justice; upright men will see His face."
I loved how this verse went along with the whole theme of wrestling with God. Regardless of what are questions are to God, we ALWAYS have to go back to His righteousness. When I am in the middle of a wrestling match I think of and say aloud to God Dan. 9:14 "The Lord did not hesitate to bring the disaster upon us, for the Lord our God is righteous in everything He does." Even when I don't understand or even agree I can rest in the fact that indeed my God is righteous in EVERYTHING He does.

Matt. 5:13-6:24: In these verses God calls me to be salt and light. The thing about salt and light is they will ALWAYS change their surroundings. He then really steps on my toes and calls me to love my enemies. Can I just tell you that is a TOUGH TOUGH thing to do! He even goes as far to say that "even pagans love those who love them". I have by no means got the whole "love your enemies" thing down. But I do know the more I pray for my enemies the more I start to see them thru the lenses of Christ love and not my hurt.

Acts 7 & 8: Acts 7 gives us a great overview of the Old Testament. Acts 8 is just crazy to me. v. 39 "When they came up out of the water, the spirit of the Lord suddenly took Philip away and the eunuch did not see him again but went on his way rejoicing." WHAT??? Phillip just disappeared...and then later it says in v. 40 "Phillip however appeared at Azotus and traveled about , preaching the gospel in the towns until he reached Caesarea." So then scripture just causally tells us that Phillip reappeared at so and so and went on with his life! That is some crazy stuff.

1 comment:

Kristin from Couponing to Disney said...

I love your blog! Thanks for linking up your blog on my blog yesterday! God is great! :D