Monday, January 11, 2010

Walking thru the Word Days 8-10

I have done relatively well keeping up with what I am supposed to be reading but not so well on putting it on the blog!

Gen. 21-26, Ps. 8-10, Matt. 4-5:12, Acts 5-6

Gen. 21: I love v. 1 and 2 "Now the Lord was gracious to Sarah as he had said and the Lord did for Sarah what he had promised. Sarah became pregnant and bore a son to Abraham in his old age at the very time God had promised him." I am so very thankful that God is gracious....gracious even after we laugh when he reveals His plan to us! The thing that really struck out to me in those verses was a little phrase found in v. 2..."at the very time God promised". God is going to do what He has promised. Not only that He is going to do it at the very time he promised it....not before or after but the very time He promised. The problem is God's timing is not my timing and I would much rather Him fulfil a promise sooner then later! However, I am thankful that His ways are not my ways and His thoughts are not my thoughts. His timing is perfect. He is gracious and He is going to do what He said He will do!

A new name is also revealed of God in this chapter...El Olam....The Eternal God.

Gen. 22: Can you imagine how Isaac must have felt? Do you think he walked away from the being strapped down on an alter with his dad holding a knife over his body with the same lessons that Abraham did? I wander if he was a little, ok... a lot mad that his dad would do such a thing. Scripture does not us anything about Isaac's response to the whole scene. I wander want Sarah's response was when they came back to camp and she heard the story?

Another name for God that is in the chapter is Jehovah Jireh...The Lord will Provide.

Gen. 23: Death of Sarah. She is buried in Cannon which is important later.

Gen. 24: v. 24 God answers Abraham's servant prayer "Before he had finished praying" Don't you love those answers that come without waiting!
v. 27 Praise be to the Lord, the God of my master Abraham who has not abandoned his kindness and faithfulness to my master..." Yes Lord, prasie Your holy name that I can say you have not abandoned Your kindness or faithfulness to me either! I don't understand Your kindness or Your faithfulness to me but I am so thankful it.

Gen. 25: Death of Abraham. v.21 is a beautiful picture of a husband's headship and love over his wife "Isaac prayed to the Lord on behalf of his wife, because she was barren. The Lord answered his prayer." Husbands have the potential to bring so much good to their wife when praying for them and over them. Later in Eph 5:26 it talks about husbands making their wives holy by cleansing her by the washing with water through the word.
Women, are you allowing your husband to take his rightful place of authority over you? Men, are you taking advantage of the privilege you have to serve your wife by praying for her and leading her in the Word?

Isaac and Rebecka had been married 20 years when Jacob and Esau were born. We learn Esau is a skilled hunter and Isaac's favorite child. Jacob is quiet and stays around the house. Rebecka favors him.

Gen. 26: Isaac repeats the sins of his father and lies about his relationship with Rebecka and says she is his sister. v. 11 is another disturbing verse in scripture.

Psalms 8: 3-4 " When I consider your heavens, the work of your fingers, the moon and the stars, which you have set in place, what is man that you are mindful of him, the son of man that you care for him.?"

Psalms 9:10 "Those who know your name will trust in you, for you Lord have never forsaken those who seek you."

Psalms 10:14 &17: "But You O God, do see trouble and grief; you consider it to take it in hand. The victim commits himself to you, you are the helper of the fatherless."(v.14) "You hear O Lord the desire of the afflicted; you encourage them, and you listen to their cry." (v.17)

Matt. 4: Jesus is tempted. He begins to preach and call his first disciples.

Matt. 51-11:I love the promise found in verse 6 "Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled." There is not one second my study of God's Word that is wasted! He promises us that if we run after Him and study His Word.....He will fill us!

No comments: