Sunday, March 22, 2009

Holiness

Orginally posted on July 18th 2007

I am currently reading He Speaks To Me by Priscilla Shirer and she said something that I have really thought about over the past few days so I wanted to share. On the chapter on holiness she said:

" Some want the distinction of being Christian without the difference of being holy."

I know I for one am guilty of wanting the title of Christian without the work of being a disciple, and when I choose to miss out on the "work" I miss the great adventure of following Christ. Being a Christ follower has made me make some tough decisions and "miss out" on some things the world tells me I should be doing. I have had to draw my line in the sand about issues like drinking, what I choose to spend money on, language I use, TV I watch, etc.. The world and even some of my friends think I have missed out and I am just way to conservative. However, I would not trade my relationship with Christ for anything this world has to offer me. I have had to make decisions that were hard at the time and that even people I love may not have understood but my reward will be and has always been CHRIST. I never want to be satisfied with church attendance or the things that Satan tries to get us to go after other the CHRIST. I don't just want to be a Christian.

I want to be "set apart, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God, that I might declare the praises of Him who called me out of darkness into his wonderful light." 1 Peter 2:9In my quiet time I have been reading the book of John and today I was in John 15 and it reminded me of how I can be holy. Being holy does mean drawing the line in the sand about certain things but so much more then that it is remaining in the vine." I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful. You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you. Remain in me, and I will remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me. I am the vine, you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit, apart from me you can do nothing." John 15:1-5I can do NOTHING apart from Christ. I cannot be holy on my own I have to remain in HIM. It is a lot easier to take the easy road and just be satisfied with being the "good Christian girl" but I am sick of that!!

Thank you Lord that you have called me to so much more then just to behave a certain way. So Lord I am begging you to continue to discipline me for my good so I can share in YOUR holiness."Our fathers disciplined us for a little while as they thought best; but God disciplines us for our good, that we may share in His holiness. " Hebrews 12:10

No comments: