Sunday, March 18, 2012

Word of God Speak

In Sept. of 2001 I walked into Lifeway and purchased a Bible. I was used to switching out Bibles every few years so I did not have any reason to believe this one would be any different. Little did I know this particular Bible would be with me for the next 10 years and would be one of the tools that God used to completely transform my mind and my life. This Bible has been my companion for the last 10 years. It was the Bible I had when we got married, served in our first 2 churches, studied with for 5 years of Sunday School lessons and Core Groups, completed 26 Bible studies, moved with me to 3 different states, was my Bible at the birth of both of my children, and was used to help me fall more in love with my Jesus.

As you can imagine I was very sad when I opened up the Bible one day and this happened:
The entire section from Romans 8 on came out in my hand. It causes a little problem when the New Testament is not in one piece! I thought I could still make it work but that part of the Bible kept falling out! I finally came to my senses and started the mourning process (I am only half kidding :) ) I thought about getting my Bible rebinded but after much thought decided it may be better to get a new one without all my study notes so it would make me read it with fresh eyes. I purchased a new Bible a few months ago and started the process of trying to make it "mine". Tonight as I was cleaning up my room I came across my old Bible that I have not seemed to be able to put away yet! Here are a few reasons why:
Emma Kate drew all over the pages one day because she wanted to "write" in the Bible like her mommy did. I was SO MAD at first but as time went by those scribbles were very sweet reminders of the legacy the Word leaves.

It was with this Bible that God taught me in the study of Exodus that sometimes He chooses the wilderness for his children. The Israelites had a shorter route to the promise land but God choose to lead them through the wilderness. Exodus 13:17-18 "When Pharaoh let the people go, God did not lead them on the road through the Philistine country, though that was shorter. for God said, "If they face war they might change their minds and return to Egypt. So God led the people around by the desert road toward the Red Sea. The Israelites went up out of Egypt armed for battle." It was through that same study that God taught me I could have missed the wilderness but then I would have also missed the parting of the Red Sea. It was just a few chapters over in Exodus 15 that God showed me that could indeed make bitter waters sweet. I wrote a little more about my journey in Exodus here.http://www.loriwelcometomyworld.blogspot.com/2009/05/want-to-be-more-like-jesus-and-less.html


I also spent a lot of time in Hosea and learned about the relentless pursuit of God. I was confronted with my sin, convicted to deal with "unplowed ground" (Hosea 10:12), and meet the tenderness of God.
http://www.loriwelcometomyworld.blogspot.com/2009_07_01_archive.html

I spent a good bit of time in Hebrews where just in chapter 1 we learn Jesus

•Heir of all things (1:2)
•The world was made through Him (1:2)
•He is the radiance of God's glory and the exact representation of His nature (1:3)
•Sustains all things by His powerful Word (1:3)
•Made purification for our sins (1:3)
•Sits at the right hand of God (1:3)
•Is better than the angels (1:4)
•All the angels of God worship Him (1:6)
•He is the Unchangeable One. (1:12)

It is Ps. 55:18 that He showed me when I really did feel like I was in the middle of a battlefield. He has continued to remind me that "He ransoms me unharmed from the battle waged against me."


Bible Studies Completed:
2004
Experiencing the Heart of God- Max Lucado (Saturday Morning at WWBC)
2005
Patriarchs- Beth Moore (on my own)
Covenant -Kay Arthur (Saturday Morning at WWBC)
Believing God- Beth Moore (Saturday Morning at WWBC)
2006
Kinsman Redeemer (Ruth)- Kay Arthur (Saturday Morning at WWBC)
2007Daniel- Beth Moore (Thursday nights at WWBC)
John- Kay Arthur (Saturday Morning at WWBC)
2008
He Speaks to Me - Priscilla Shirer( On my own and with Monday morning at WWBC)
No Other Gods- Kelly Minter ( On my own)
Hosea- Kay Arthur (College class at WWBC)
A Women's Heart God's Dwelling Place- Beth Moore (Saturday Morning at WWBC)
Stepping Up- Beth Moore (Monday morning at WWBC)
When Godly People do Ungodly Things- Beth Moore (On my own)
2009
Esther-Beth Moore (On my Own)
Hebrews1-3- Kay Arthur (Saturday Morning at WWBC)
One in a Million- Priscilla Shirer (On my own)
Proverbs and Principals for Parenting- Stockdale (Monday mornings at SBC in MS)
Haggai- Kay Arthur (on my own)
Zechariah- Kay Arthur (on my own)
2010
Ruth- Kelly Minter (on my own)
Lord I want to know you- Kay Arthur (on my own)
Faithful, Abundant, and True- Deeper Still Women ( on my own)
2011
Believing God- Beth Moore (2nd time with someone from work)
Jonah- Priscilla Shirer (Tuesday mornings with FBC Alpharetta)
Ruth- Kelly Minter (2nd time with FBC Alapharetta)
James- Beth Moore ( on my own- went into 2012)

I could go on and on of why this particular Bible feels like home to me. I have cried many tears over the pages, rejoiced in promises, marveled at the mysterious, and have been downright frustrated when I could not make it say what I wanted :) There have been many changes in my life over the last 10 years but one thing has and will remain the same.....The One who met me in the pages of scripture is the same yesterday, today, and tomorrow.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Great post...loved it!