Saturday, February 1, 2014

What is in a name?

It never ceases to amaze me how quickly Satan can come up and accuse when you least expect it. As I was rocking Daniel tonight I reminded him that in the morning we get to go to church. I asked him who we talk about at church and he mumbled something that I could not understand and then I said "Do we learn about Jesus?" and he repeated "Jesus".In that very second Satan started to play with my mind and I went thru the index of what we had intentionally tried to teach Daniel about Jesus. When Emma was his age she knew several Bible stories and we were already reading to her from a children's Bible every night when we tucked her in. For a split second I allowed Satan to accuse me of not trying hard enough or being intentional enough with Daniel when it came to our faith. The thought "good grief Lori the best Daniel can do is say Jesus's name" actually went thru my head. And as quickly as Satan had entered to accuse my sweet Jesus stepped in to affirm.

Instead of accusations filling the room I was reminded just what power there was simply in His name. God gave him the name that is above every name "that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow in heaven and on earth and under the earth and every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord to the glory of God the Father."(Philp 2:10-11)I was also reminded that "the name of the Lord is a strong tower, the righteous run to it and are safe" (Proverbs 18:10). If I want to consider the different names that He has I could add that he is the creator, provider, the one who sees me, the eternal God, the great I AM, God with us, the great physician, the everlasting one, the alpha and omega- the beginning and end, the everlasting father, the prince of peace, the Lamb of God, and those are just the ones that came to mind in that moment.

We have just started our journey with Daniel on introducing him to the God we serve. There will be a lot of Bible stories read, songs with silly motions, many Sunday's at church, and countless moments as we are just doing life to continue to bring Jesus into His world. I am excited about what each of those will teach him and know that they all hold significant weight. However, I hope that I am never so caught up in Bible study that I forgot the power of His name.

No comments: